A Job on Nunniong
The linked article was found in the Minutes of the FCRPA meetings from early 1981 but there was nothing to tell us who Bruthen Charlie really was, although it is clear he was a member of the FCV in Bruthen in the 1930s.
In September 2023, after initial contact with James Nicholas from the Bruthen District Citizens Association, Jenny Carter, a volunteer with the Tambo Rambler, made contact with the information that "Bruthen Charlie" might well be Charles Wain.
Jenny also pointed out that Charlie Wain and Cecil Cross are mentioned as being involved in the construction in 1940 of the firetower on Mt Litle Dick - "Cecil Cross and Charlie Wain, well known Forest Commission identities, built this tower using Ironbark (Eucalyptus sideroxylon) and Yellow Stringybark (Eucalyptus muelleriana), obtained and squared on site." Source: Fire Lookouts Down Under.
Charles Wain also appears in our records as an FCV Overseer in Bruthen from 1942-1947, a Construction Overseer at Heyfield in the 1950s, and a Senior Overseer at Bruthen during the 1960s, retiring in November 1972.