Gerald (Gerry) Griffin entered the VSF Creswick in 1942. His first posting with the Commission, in 1945, was to the Assessment Branch; then to the Bruthen District followed by the Corryong Sub-district of the Upper Murray Forest District.
In 1951 he was promoted to District Forester in charge of the Casterton District. Further DFO appointments were to Maffra (Briagolong) in 1951, Nowa Nowa in 1954 and Orbost in 1959.
While in Orbost he achieved his Dip.For.Vic. based on his thesis on "A Utilization Plan for the Development of the Sawmilling Industry on the Errinundra Plateau".
Promotion to Assistant Divisional Forester at Traralgon came in 1968. Soon after Gerry moved to Head Office as the FCV’s Fire Protection Officer. In late 1969 he became Officer in Charge of the General Operations Branch; then, between 1972 and 1978, Chief of the Division of Economics and Marketing.
In May 1978 he was promoted to Forests Commissioner (one of three), a position he held in 1986 when the Forests Commission was amalgamated into the Department of Conservation Forests and Lands (CFL).
Gerry became Director of Regional Management in the new, amalgamated Department and, later, acted in the role of Director-General for CFL, a position from which he ‘retired’ in 1987.
Further appointments followed – to the Urban Land Authority; CEO of the Melbourne Zoological Gardens; first Chair, in 1993, of the Victorian Plantations Corporation; and Chairman of the Timber Industry Superannuation Board.
In 2010 Gina O'Donoghue recorded interviews with Gerry that covered his working life..