David graduated from the VSF in 1940 and was first appointed to the Assessment Branch.
He was then given District postings in Heathcote, Powelltown, Dandenongs, Bruthen and Beechworth. Promoted to District Forester in 1951, he was moved to Cann River, then Heathcote (1955), Castlemaine (1958) and Daylesford (1971). Following a period with Forest Protection in Melbourne he retired in 1980.
David was an accomplished cartoonist who provided commentary on the ‘Forester’s condition’ through the Victorian Forester’s Newsletter. David also carved two ‘totem poles’ supporting fire warning signs that stood for many years outside the Forests Office at Cann River.